MalwareCrypt
November 27, 2014, 04:53:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: PC Desktop Won't Boot Past XP Splash Screen  (Read 20183 times)
Jintan
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 06:22:36 PM »

A messed up context menu wouldn't likely lead to what is there now. Need to consider using old, saved copies of the Registry files, and replace the current, corrupted copies (assumption). This may allow access to Safe Mode to then do a System Restore. Review the procedures here.
jwgnle

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 10:12:35 PM »

Ughhh

OK...  I stepped through the first step of backing up the existing registry files (Microsoft link), deleted them and copied over the c:\windows\repair registry files...  It was somewhat problematic but in the end was successful in that task.  Than came the first reboot with the \repair registry files into SAFE MODE...

We got to SAFE MODE... Past the screen that was hanging up...  Text popped up with regard to loading preferences, etc...  When in SAFE MODE though, lost all USB support.  Mo Mouse, No Keyboard...  I did this a couple times to see where I "lost" them because I obviously had them when I rebooted hitting F8 to get into SAFE MODE...  Seems I lost USB support as I rolled into the more complex load after the MUP.SYS file showed up (usually the last file on the load into SAFE MODE).  At that point, the keyboard lights went out and the mouses optical light blinked out and than back on.  Continued on into SAFE MODE.  Only way to turn off was the power button.

Because of the issues I had in backing up the registery files (C:\Windows\TMP\*.bak), I opted to reloaded the original registry files from the harddrive backup (Acronis)...  Downloaded them to my USB drive and than transfered them to the problem child.

As it stands right now - Back to where I started the day.  No better - No worse.  Same hang on boot.  The up side is:  Nothing is trashed more than what it is.  Although I now have less hair.

Jintan
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2011, 05:17:12 PM »

Some of the user's account settings may not have loaded, but if you were relying solely on a usb mouse/keyboard, it would have been helpful if you had tried some PS/2 mice/keyboards first. Their default settings are nearly always expected to load, at the very minimum, to allow some type of functionality at lower program levels. Any chance you can still try that, to get to System Restore?
jwgnle

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2011, 05:46:27 PM »

Shouldn't be a problem...  I have both a mouse and keyboard in PS/2 flavor...  I'll try reloading the \repair registries and rebooting with PS/2 hardware when I get home...  The BIG question is whether System Restore  is turned on once we able to get into SAFE MODE    Undecided
jwgnle

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2011, 06:38:35 PM »

Sad  Was afraid of this...  Home, looking at the computer now... No PS/2 plugs
Jintan
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2011, 09:26:34 PM »

Dell bean counting. Save 3 cents on every pc without the added PS/2 ports.

The actual point the system freezes during bootup is a kinda no-man's zone. Hand-off's between the boot drivers to normal system drivers, security in the middle of loading and the user account info starting to load. And startups, which is one area we haven't concentrated on yet. I am running shy on time this eve, so will need to delay this one more day. Let's assume we get this corrected and start wrapping up here tomorrow.
jwgnle

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 07:55:51 AM »

Roger that...

I'll await with baited breath.  Thanks Jintan
Jintan
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 06:39:15 PM »

Go here and download the PC Regedit iso file, then burn that image to create a bootable PC Regedit disk.

I am pretty sure xPUD has a means of making changes to the Registry, and I am pretty sure I would only be guessing at that.

With that CD inserted in the drive of the trouble computer allow the system to bootup. Then follow the steps here to gain access to the Registry "hive" keys, and to navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

In the right side panel, under Name, locate each of the following:

ehTray
avast5

Right click each, and select Delete Key (and okay any warnings).

Then I would like you to navigate to the following key. It is in the same hive file, but you may have to reboot to return to the initial steps to access it:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

In the right side panel, under Name, locate each of the following:

AppInit_DLLs

Right click that, and select Value Edit. Then when that display opens, just delete anything in the EditDialog Title box next to Value.

Should be nothing showing in that Value after that. Then click OK, agree to the change and then go to File - Exit, and allow PC Regedit to reboot the system.
jwgnle

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2011, 07:37:09 PM »

WOW...  Cool new stuff...

Completed all tasks with success.

On system reboot, PC went into auto CHKDSK routine and noted the Volume is Dirty  and executed the following:  1) Verify files  2) Verify Indexes 3) Verify Security Descriptors and 4) Verify USN Journal... followed by an auto-reboot......

After reboot - Back to the same splash screen as shown in .jpg from first post and hangs...
Jintan
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2011, 06:19:38 PM »

Okay, back to AOL. I have many threads open in different forums, so to speed things up, suggest you web search the drivers here, and see if you can tie one or more to AOL. You have done well in not varying from steps we have discussed here, so I can trust that, for the moment, you plan to web search, and then post an update on that here for us to review (too many other request thread folks tend to see something, then beat it to death with a hatchet, and post back the results).
jwgnle

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2011, 08:40:22 PM »

No luck on finding anything here related to AOL...  I sliced, diced and parsed the driver log, looked at things that looked out of the norm to the surrounding files, format, etc. and interestingly enough, identified the exact same drivers you requested me to disable in earlier posts...  But alas, nothing with AOL ties...  Here's a summary count of the drivers and the companies they are assigned...  One of the drivers you had me disable belongsd to Single Click Systems (packet.sys)...  As an FYI...  There are two others associated with them as well: hnm_wrls_pkt.sys  and  wsp_pkt.sys

Driver Cnt - Company
1 - Acer Laboratories
1 - Adaptec
1 - Advanced Micro Devices
2 - Advanced System Products
1 - American Megatrends
22 - ATI Technologies
8 - AVASTSoftware
1 - CMD Technology
1 - Compaq Computer Corp
4 - Conexant
3 - Diamond Multimedia Systems
2 - has NO Company Name!  (related to mrxsmb.sys)
3 - HP
15 - Intel Corporation
3 - LSI Logic
1 - Macrovision Corporation
2 - Malwarebytes Corporation
1 - Matrox Graphics
3 - Microsoft Corp
217 - Microsoft Corporation
1 - Mylex Corporation
1 - NVIDIA Corporation
1 - Parallel Technologies
1 - ProlificTechnologyInc.
1 - Promise Technology
3 - QLogic Corporation
2 - Ravisent Technologies
1 - SGraphics
1 - SigmaTel
1 - Silicon Integrated Systems
3 - SingleClickSystems
8 - Smart Link
7 - Sonic Solutions
1 - Symantec Corporation
1 - Symbios Logic
1 - Toshiba Corporation
1 - VirtualPathManager
1 - VSRevoGroup
1 - Windows DDK provider
2 - Windows Server DDK provider
Jintan
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2011, 09:04:15 PM »

Fast, and sure is a comprehensive list. And we are running short on culprits. Because it can "hook" other prosesses, and perhaps get corrupted when an errant revo uninstall is run, let's go ahead and disable Avast. And as it has been pushing an active trial version very recently, Malwarebytes as well.

Please return to the Recovery Console, and disable these:

aavmker4
aswFsBlk
aswmon2
aswmon
aswRdr
aswSnx
aswSP
aswTdi
mbamswissarmy
mbam

Reboot, and check again.

jwgnle

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2011, 09:38:47 PM »

Well...

Disabled all listed.  Three came back as not located:  aswmon, mbamswissarm and mbam..  Although Malwarebytes on this system is the Pro version vs a trail and has been such for at least a couple of years now...

Result:  Same screen, same hang...
jwgnle

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2011, 09:49:33 PM »

If the Great and Powerful Oz (Jintan) can't solve it, nobody can...  ...and I really do believe that!

Are we at a system restore/overlay point...  One that maintains applications, data files, etc and lays a clean OS over the existing?  Is that even possible?  Used to be, but I haven't done it years.

Or do you have a few more rabbits in your hat or up your sleeve?
Jintan
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »

I am not familiar with that overlay phrase. Chance it's a pre-XP method? If I read the first post in this thread correctly, you already attempted to do a Repair Install, which seems to be what you are describing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: